Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises. Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office.
The primary function of this role is the implementation and day-to-day management of the health component. In meeting this responsibility, the Health officer is also accountable for the monitoring of the project’s health inputs and outputs, and ensuring targets are achieved. S/he undertakes appropriate measures to strengthen the health system to offer quality primary and reproductive health care: this includes assessing the physical structure of PHC facilities where applicable, mobile team and taking appropriate steps, work closely with the program manager and SMoH to identify training needs and, enhance the capacity of PHC service providers and community health volunteers (CHVs) in record keeping, data analysis and decision-making based on a regular review. S/he is the key person for making service available at PHC facilities, feeding centers, and CHVs where applicable in the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Program Manager
Direct: The post holder will be required to work closely with the program manager and Head of implementation manager - including other staff as relevant.
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
- implementation of health programs (outpatients department, Reproductive Health, Drugs Management, EPI, in both strategies facility and mobile and health community activities including CHVs) and ensure that stated goals and objectives are met,
- Prepared program work plans, in coordination with the program manager and technical team
- Assess unmet needs in the Health sector and determine the potential for other SCI health projects.
- Work with the Field team and M&E to ensure that the Health & programs are implemented in conformity with the SCI Program Framework and promoting and protect rights, participation, capacity building, partnership, and holistic programming.
- Provide accurate regular reports, document results, and maintain detailed records of the overall health program activities in your area of operation to the program and area manager.
- Work with the health staff to ensure that field experiences are documented and used to advocate on behalf of the communities with which we work.
- Work with the program manager to develop expenditure and procurement plans to guide the implementation of approved grants.
- Support the Field teams in the implementation of the plans ensuring that SCI donor rules and regulations are abided by.
- Work closely with the program manager and locality, and develop tools to assess and monitor the needs for different medical and non-medical items.
· prepare and follow up the health purchase request (PR) through the Procurement system for drugs, medical supplies, non-medical stationery, and process the purchase in a way that buffer stock is maintained.
· Work with the health facility team and SMoH /CHVs in developing a health information system to track progress on health service provision.
· Assist PHC service providers to correct the record-keeping and compilation, feedback assurance.
· Attend the monthly /monthly/quarterly review meeting of PHC service providers, analyze progress, and use findings for decision-making
· Conduct review meeting with CHV/MWs at least monthly and quarterly between CHVs/HF staff and Localities.
· Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports; draft donors report and update SCI program team.
· Participate and prepare the program review meeting quarterly and use findings for decision-making to ensure program quality.
· Conduct weekly/Monthly field visits to SCI support clinics /feeding centers/ mobile including CHVs and village committee's project area.
Strengthen the mechanism integration and coordination of the health community activities with health facilities/mobile (EPI, Morbidity & Reproductive Health) and CHVs, CBOs, and WASH community components.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor in medical background or Public Health
- At least 3-4 years of experience in managing health programs and PHC facilities, community intervention preferably in areas of health system strengthening to offer primary and reproductive health care
- Good interpersonal and facilitation skills: Ability to conduct and facilitate training
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written in English and Arabic.
- Has the ability to clarify issues in-group meetings or in any discussion session among staff and with the visitors
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Good nurture and mentor staff, promote teamwork, and set a high standard for quality work, and ensure that the job is done
· Excellent computer skills and proficiency in MS word, excel, PowerPoint and outlook
· Has demonstrated leadership quality and a good team player with flexibility
· Analytic and report writing in English
· Willing to work with the disadvantaged/vulnerable people under stress and in a difficult situation.
• Good understanding of donor requirements and reporting mechanisms.
• Ability to work efficiently and effectively with project members in various locations and from multiple organisations, including remote writing and revising relvent documents;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Ability to analyse and summarize information;
• Ability to work calmly under pressure in a rapidly changing context;
• experience in managing health programs and PHC facilities, community intervention preferably in areas of health system strengthening.
Prior experience in Eastern Sudan highly desirable