The consultant will provide technical support (in coordination with the staff from the country office) on smallholders, procurement and food systems work supporting the implementation of the methodology developed to analyze different value chains in Sudan, such as sorghum, sesame and ground nuts. After the value chain analysis is completed, the support of the consultant will be key during the development of intervention plans, as well as to foster partnership to execute these initiatives.
The consultant will also support finding ways for better collaboration between procurement and programme to support small scale farmers and the revised components to be integrated into the work plan. Smallholder farmers linkages with the market are different in each state, and linkage between Small farmers with big farmers/traders should also be highlighted.
KEY ACCOUNT-ABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide technical support to the implementation of the methodology developed to analyze sorghum and other food value chains of interest in Sudan, including data collection, registration and analysis;
- Contribute to the identification of aggregation system in place and implementation of potential interventions to address some of the inefficiencies identified in the value chain analysis of target crops of interest, acting as link between Procurement and Programme, farmers group structure and its capacity gaps;
- Support team members on activities related to the value chain analysis methodology to ensure that deliverables are made within the agreed terms;
- Within the specific area of responsibility, prepare reports and data analysis and make recommendations to supervisors;
- Collaborate closely with internal counterparts in the Sudan Country Office to enable effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing activities related to value chain analysis;
- Identify, establish and foster operational local partnerships to implement collaborative initiatives that will contribute to addressing some of the inefficiencies identified in the target value chains
- Follow-up action plan with clear actions, owners and timelines;
- Other duties as required
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
University degree in one of the following fields: agricultural economics, economics, agronomy, development studies or other related fields.
At least 3 years of postgraduate professional experience, specifically in agriculture, food value chain analysis, rural development, and development projects in the field of smallholder agricultural market support
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of food value chains, smallholder agricultural support and food systems
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and supervise own work plan
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to compile, analyse and interpret quantitative and qualitative data, prepare reports and draw conclusions and recommendations
- Knowledge of relevant actors in the agricultural development sector (government institutions, international organizations, NGOs, academia, etc)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good command of MS Office
- Willingness to travel to remote regions, if necessary, on short notice
Excellent written and spoken English. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.