Eligibility criteria Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task Under the supervision of Chief of the chief medical officer the Laboratory Technician will carry out the following duties:
- Conduct chemical analyses of body fluids, such as blood and urine, using microscope or automatic analyzer to detect abnormalities or diseases, and enter findings into computer.
- Set up, adjust, maintain and clean medical laboratory equipment.
- Analyze the results of tests and experiments to ensure conformity to specifications, using special mechanical and electrical devices.
- Analyze and record test data to issue reports that use charts, graphs and narratives.
- Perform medical research to further control and cure disease.
- Conduct blood tests for transfusion purposes and perform blood counts.
- Obtain specimens, cultivating, isolating and identifying microorganisms for analysis.
- Examine cells stained with dye to locate abnormalities.
- Collect blood or tissue samples from patients, observing principles of asepsis to obtain blood sample.
- Consult with a pathologist to determine a final diagnosis when abnormal cells are found.
- Inoculate fertilized eggs, broths, or other bacteriological media with organisms.
- Cut, stain and mount tissue samples for examination by pathologists.
- Supervise and instruct other technicians and laboratory assistants.
- Prepare standard volumetric solutions and reagents to be combined with samples, following standardized formulas or experimental procedures.
- Maintains files and records; records data.
- Makes Orders, maintains inventories and issues medical and office supplies.
- Sample taking and testing for COVID-19, handling of PCR test machines.
Perform any other related duties as may be required
Education - Additional Comments:
- Sudan National / Citizen of Sudan.
- Minimum of a first University degree or its equivalent in the field of Medical Laboratory Sciences.
Minimum of three (3) years cognate working experience in a busy hospital laboratory is also essential
* Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level - Working Knowledge
Area of expertise details:
- Minimum of three (3) years cognate working experience in a busy hospital laboratory is also essential.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, and service mindedness is essential; ability to work effectively in a team of international and national staff.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer applications such as Microsoft Office suites – Word, Powerpoint and excel spreadsheets including intermediate programming is an advantage. Knowledge of other UN supported software may be desirable but not mandatory.
- Arabic language skills at native level is required and fluency in spoken and written English is mandatory
- Have affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a as a mechanism for durable peace and development and the UN System.